Newborn Photographer in Northern Virginia
Lifestyle Newborn Photographer Based in Great Falls VA and serving NoVA, MD, and DC
Not Your Typical Newborn Session
The best newborn photographs convey the emotional connections between baby, parents and siblings, if there are any. This is achieved through a collaborative process between the photographer and the subjects. As your newborn photographer in Northern Virginia, we’ll work together every step of the way from choosing the best locations to portray your family’s story, to picking the most flattering wardrobe, and using prompts to evoke natural interactions and connections.
What to expect:
I’ll arrive at your home or the desired location wearing a mask and carrying hand sanitizer. Since these images are lifestyle, there is no hands-on posing unless you’d like assistance with positioning adjustments. I’ll walk you through some prompts to get you interacting with your family, and then we’ll take a series of images that include photos of everyone with baby, detailed shots such as eyelashes, nose, mouth, fingers, toes, and all those delicious baby rolls. If you’d like images of breastfeeding, chestfeeding, and/or bottlefeeding, we’ll also incorporate those. Depending on the lighting in your home, we may capture images in the nursery, near windows, or even outside if the weather is nice. The images I capture in these sessions are meant to feel relaxed and focus on the emotions of the moment. Some families like to capture a more composed/glam image with their newborn, and I’m always happy to capture one or two, but the majority of the session is much more relaxed. While the time I spend photographing your family is usually around 45 minutes, due to the nature of newborn care, we frequently find our time together extends past 1.5 hrs — I encourage breaks to feed and change baby, as well as make sure the birthing parent has access to snacks/hydration and isn’t getting over-exerted during this sensitive period of recovery.
As one of the only photographers in Northern Virginia certified as both a Click Pro Elite and a Hello Pro Creative, I’m uniquely qualified to provide a professional photography experience resulting in beautiful, high quality newborn photographs. To further highlight my qualifications, I was a winner of Click Magazine’s Voice Competition in 2020, have been published in Click Magazine, This Detailed Life Magazine, and Z!nk Magazine, was a featured photographer in the book Hidden Cities, and was voted a Best Photographer in Rockville in 2021, 2020, and 2019.
What does my expertise mean for you?
- Shorter session length; You’ll get a full gallery of images filled with tons of variety, including multiple settings, poses, and groupings. Capturing all of this in less time means you can get back to all things baby sooner.
- Expert posing guidance; As the author of several lifestyle photography posing guides, I’ll use my expertise to guide you in ways that look natural, effortless, and beautiful in your images.
- Expert editing; As an editing educator, my extensive knowledge of editing processes keep you and your family looking like yourselves, at your absolute best. I also remove temporary baby marks like flaky skin, excess redness, and baby acne. You can see a handful of editing examples here.
Recent Newborn Sessions/ A Selection
Lifestyle Newborn Photoshoot $850
No props, no fuss, just your beautiful family and lots of love.
Sessions offered in-home or on location. Your newborn photo session is a collaborative process from start to finish. We’ll work together every step of the way to create a session unique to your family.
I know you’re busy getting to know your new little one and getting settled in as a family, so I aim to keep my photography time down to 45 minutes — but there is NO RUSH if your little one needs breaks for changing, feeding etc. For that reason, newborn sessions maybe last up to an hour and a half, and are only offered on weekdays between the hours of 9:30am and 4pm.
Your session fee includes:
- 45 richly edited images with permission to print
- 10 bonus black and white edits
- Save $100 when booking together with a maternity session
- Video consultation to discuss all the details; wardrobe, logistics, and any other questions or concerns
- Ongoing wardrobe selection assistance via text and email
- Roundtrip travel within 15 miles of zip code 22066
- Weekday session for up to 4 people, typically the birthing parent, a spouse or partner, baby, and up to one sibling
- Gown, robe, or dress rental from my client closet – varies $25-$95
- Additional people – $95 per additional person
- Print and wall art products – starting at $15
The Process/ What to Expect
Check out my portfolios and pricing – Maternity info can be found here and Newborn info can be found here. Detailed pricing info can be found near the bottom of both pages. If you have questions, you may wish to check out the FAQ. Then get in touch!
The best time for a maternity session is around 32-35 weeks. For newborns, it’s best to do the session between 3-15 days of age. I encourage booking at least 4-6 weeks ahead of time to ensure availability and allow time for planning.
Complete your booking by filling out the (digital) paperwork I’ll send you. Your booking is complete and date held when I receive your retainer and signed session agreement. You’ll then receive access to my client closet to start picking out a gown, and we’ll set up a time for your planning call.
During your planning call we’ll go over everyone’s wardrobe, I’ll make recommendations for your location based on the type of images you want, and we’ll chat about hair, makeup, and accessories.
Have your Session!
After your session, you’ll receive a link to your private online gallery. You’ll be able to download your images directly from the gallery. Prints and products are also available – please inquire for pricing.